Life

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Realization of A Lifetime: What is Cool?

I'm pretty sure everyone hates me cause I'm 16 (more like 15, but when your my age your obliged to round up) and an awkward 5'8. But I don't think that matches up to all the uncool things I do. Like listen to bands that wear eye liner, and wear one glove, even when its a chilly 90 degrees in the sun shine state.Weirdly enough, in this culture, you can be so normal but so unbearable to others.
Let me explain
I've always thought of myself as different, and that's comforted me. All those awkward corks, that makes you. Even your depressions, and your disabilities, its made you into someone. Whoever 'you' are, you are. But were does the tag cool come in? When society gets a hold of you. Weather you think of 'cool' as a positive thing, or a negative thing, you are at risk of being it, weather you want to or not. But why would anyone NOT want to be suave, accepted, and interesting? were did 'cool', a word according to the urban dictionary, meaning a 'chill' or 'good' person, become bad?
There's this none conformity bug that seems to get to most teenagers. This need to be different. But yet everyone is not as different as they think if they are trying not to conform, instead of mistakenly slipping into the uncool category, because they think it is cool to be uncool. For example, a cool person to me, would be someone like... me. Because I think, if you get past my obvious narcissism for picking myself as the coolest person I can think of, I'm pretty cool. A cool person would listen to the music I love, and has their own mind. Because those are my two big qualities that I look for in a person; a love for art and proof that they think about things that matter, and form there own opinions, rather than just inheriting their parents beliefs and caring them stubbornly, instead of walking with an open mind. But a cool person to another person could be a person that likes wrestling, or some other blood sport. My point is... the only person that makes you cool or uncool are the people around you, and how they perceive you. Because you really have nothing to do with how people perceive you, its just if you fit up to their personal standards of cool.
There is no such thing as a generally cool person.... because cool is in the eye of the beholder. We should just enbraise who WE ARE. Not worry about this cool/none cool social machine.
Today I woke up at 9:00PM, like most sleep deprived teens do. Ate a Subway (eat fresh) sandwich for dinner (go veggie delight!). Joined the human raise the only way I enjoy, and went on the internet. Afterward, went upstairs and jammed to some Blink 182. My alarm interrupted me promptly at 5:30. I straightened my now greasy from sweat hair, and got on the bus, were I proceeded to listen to more music. Somewhere in between meeting up with my phycodic friend of 5 years for lunch at a remote stair case away from the 'normal people', and leaving my 6th period band class I realized.... I'm fucking normal. And there's nothing wrong with that.

QC: who's a cool person to you?


with humbled thoughts and much gratitude from the smallish wave
lilwave //(^.\\\

No comments: